Home décor involves more than simply buying new furniture or décor items. There is certainly more to it than DIY projects that involve things like adding a shelf, a coat of paint, or anything else along those lines. Simply arranging or rearranging your furniture can give you a whole new outlook on life.
At least, as far as that specific room is concerned!
Furniture arrangement is simpler than you might think. You don’t have to hire a home decorator to tell you where the couch should go, or the best place to put down a rug. We have assembled a number of simply DIY home décor tips about furniture arrangement. Regardless of who you are, or where you live, we think these suggestions will prove useful.
How to Arrange Your Furniture Like a Pro
Arranging your furniture doesn’t have to be particularly stressful. Let’s discuss a few simple things that you can keep in mind:
- Establish your focal point: This is arguably the most important aspect of arranging furniture. Your focal point will essentially dictate the response visitors have when entering the room. Prominent windows or fireplaces are popular in this arena. However, some like to create their own with a distinctive table, couch, or even using their home entertainment setup.
- Keep your furniture away from the walls: Putting all of your furniture against the walls can make a space seem crowded. Believe it or not, but allowing for even a couple of inches of space between furniture pieces and your wall can create the illusion of a larger, more breathable room.
- Think about the flow of traffic: Obviously, you will want to devote at least some thought towards a room that keeps traffic flow in mind. Space between your coffee table and sofa is a good example of what we are talking about. Keeping chairs pushed in for the dining room or kitchen is another example of what we mean.
- Match the rug to the furniture: The combination of the rug and the furniture which rests upon it should be considered with a thought towards harmony between these items. You can define that in any number of ways. It is also important to choose the right size for any rug in any room. The furniture should be able to rest upon it with ease.
- Artwork: Home décor and artwork have always enjoyed a mutually beneficial relationship. Art pieces offer a great way to finish creating your ideal atmosphere for a space. You can create your own pieces by simply cutting out pieces from books, and then having them framed. Whether you buy or make your own art, size and placement of the art are both important. You don’t want to place your art simply anywhere. Furthermore, you don’t want something that is significantly larger or smaller than the furniture you are highlighting.
Planning ahead is also a good idea. This is particularly true if you are planning to make any small purchases to help you in your DIY home décor endeavors. You can even sit down and sketch out your ideal furniture arrangement.